Saturday, May 5, 2012

Show Your Scars

I read a lot. Because of technology, I will admit, that a lot of my reading is done via internet - but I like it. I am in no way undermining the power of a good book, but however the internet allows us to tap into the minds of others in ways that books don't. And one thing that I pay a lot of attention to while reading happens to be other's thoughts on life. Not just your ordinary tweet about what is or isn't going on today, but a person's actual outlook... because I find those to be the most profound.

I have noticed quite a pattern though and this pattern has conjured up a lot of questions in my mind. A lot of people look at life in terms of hide and seek, or better yet seek and hide. I'll try to explain this the best I can. You see people talking about what they want out of life, whether it be money, success, love, happiness, enlightenment, or anything else. This is the seek, and the seek I am okay with. However the hide part not so much. What is the hide? The hide is the aspect in a person's perspective where they deem it necessary to cover up certain parts of who they are in order to achieve whatever is that they are seeking. But why?

For those still a little lost, I've come up with a few examples:

Seeking: Love
Hiding: Emotion

Seeking: Success
Hiding: Work ethic

Seeking: Happiness
Hiding: Pain

Get it yet? Something we can all relate to right? So why do we do it? If you want love and happiness, you're going to be emotional. You're going to get jealous, because no one else deserves easy access to something you've worked for. You're going to get angry and frustrated, because feelings when love is inis involved aren't easily translated. You're going to feel annoying, because you're so happy that love exists you become irritating and overwhelming. But the point is - these things are GOING TO happen. You want to love, and you want to be loved but you want us to think that there are certain emotions you don't feel? Where's the logic?

I read a tweet today that said "make your accomplishments seem effortless." But again, why? If you want success, and you finally achieve it - why would you ever undermine the effort that it took to get there? Don't you wish success for others? Wouldn't you aspire to set yourself up as an example? The reason why success exists is because of guidance. People find guidance in any and everything, but in people specifically. So help us, don't hide from us.

Putting on a facade is never the way to achieve or feel good about anything. Everything you have, you have because you deserve it. Take pride in not only your successes but your failures as well. Show the world that you did it and you have the scars to prove it. If we are all human, which I assume the majority of those reading this post are, why do we pretend like certain parts of our nature do not exist? Nature is beautiful and nature is inevitable. Stop hiding, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment